Microsoft vs Apple ..again?
Pesonally I do not own an iPod (sad you say) I do have a 60gb Creative Zen NX (hacked), and a 2Gb LED flash one for the gym all play wmv files. I never found the value of paying too much vs cool too over whelming to move my mostly wmv files over to Apple.
So I for one am looking forward to anything but Apple (sorry), that if needed I could move my music to and no Apple until they start actively supporting wmv files (without hacking).
You will know the issues with Apple copying Creative Players (to the cost of $100m).
WHAT !! you say it is now a legal fact. (google-it neysayers..)
So Microsoft is copying Apple design (are they?) The wheels look familiar, and those eyes look even funnier (no on the players not steve or bill)
Who’s on first ?
Creative has always had a good relationship with Microsoft and I think the new Microsoft player will hurt Creative as much or more as it hurts a weakened Apple brand. Espcially with it being made by Toshiba.
Microsoft’s terrible record at restricting users from doing anything they want with their MP3 player is also a concern. They may push DRM to its limits, and make sure that all MP3 will be copyrighted etc. but their recent softening on some DRM issues may mean they may not. Time will tell.
People in the blogosphere are already talking about ZUNE though:
It is no rocket science that the Zune is coming at a great time, when Apple is re-inventing the ipod brand, Miscrosoft has timed it perfectly, and I look forward to my new Zune for Xmas.
Remember the brand war can sometimes go to the one that get’s it right not the one that gets it first. Look at netscpae vs microsoft browser wars, (and perhaps vs. firefox).
Also don’t forget there will likely be some great integration between Zune, Live.com, and Vista (all out at xmas or before)
The masterplan from microsfot is getting closer an environment that goes from, home, mobile (car, train etc.) to work, and back again.
Or is that google, or is that yahoo..hmmm
Don’t know about you but I am looking forward to it. BRING IT ON !!
Some things we know:
- ZUNE is Microsoft’s Media Player.
- 30gb hard drive
- Comes in White, Brown, and Black (with blue highlights).
- out for Xmas/Hanukkah 2006
- 3in Screen works in prtrait or lanscape modes.
- Made by Toshiba,
- FM Tuner
- Will not be undercut by Apple (per MS)
- Can communicate with other players
- Zune software can import audio files in unprotected WMA, MP3, AAC; photos in JPEG; and videos in WMV, MPEG-4, H.264.
- ZUNE will have Wi-Fi capability, to enable sharing of music between other Zune users via WiFi and perh aps a PC system.
- ZUNE will play video and audio.
- ZUNE will interact with an online music store.
- Zune will feature an expansion port, much like the iPod’s dock connection.
- every Zune will be preloaded with music from DTS, EMI Music’s Astralwerks Records and Virgin Records, Ninja Tune, Playlouderecordings, Quango Music Group, Sub Pop Records, and V2/Artemis Records.
- There will be 3 bundles: one each for the car, home, and travel.
- The Zune Car Pack- includes a Zune Car Charger.
- The Zune Home– A/V Pack is designed to interoperate with the TV and music speakers, including a Zune
AV Output Cable, Zune Dock, Zune Sync Cable, Zune AC Adapter and the Zune Wireless Remote for
Zune Dock. Finally, the
- Zune Travel Pack– includes the Zune Premium Earphones, Zune Dual Connect Remote, Zune Gear Bag,
Zune Sync Cable and the Zune AC Adapter.
- Microsoft also said it was working with a number of leading electronics manufacturers to develop peripherals: Altec Lansing, Belkin, Digital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO), Dual Electronics, Griffin Technology, Harman Kardon and JBL, Integrated Mobile Electronics, Jamo International, Klipsch Audio Technologies, Logitech, Monster Cable Products, Speck, Targus Group International Inc. and VAF Research.
- Users will be able to buy individual tracks from the Zune Marketplace, or buy an all-you-can-eat subscription for an undisclosed price.
- You can plug your Zune device into your Xbox 360 to stream music, pictures, and video, via USB cable. Get all your Zune content on the TV in your living room.
- Also, when Zune launches, foks who also have a Media Center Edition 2005 PC will be able to access and play any music they downloaded from Zune Marketplace.
- The Points you have in Xbox 360 Live can transfer to Zune. (same passport account).
- Input songs from itunes.
- Finally, don’t forget the new Zune Phone