6 September 2011
Tech-News.TV (coming soon)
by Loren Wiener (@mr_internet)
Samsung to Be Eventual Winner
Whilst Apple fights Samsung across the globe, on tablet patents, many tablet manufacturers like Motorola (Googorola) Toshiba, Acer, Asus, HP, RIM are all hoping to gain some benefit here in Australia. Samsung will likely win and Motorola lose for a few reasons.
1) Apple patent wins will at best, just delay the Samsung selling of their tablets. Remember Motorola also has injunctions against them. It is not likely a totoal coincidence that the patent wars are going on leading up to the announcemnet in the next few days of the iPhone5.
2) Samsung marketing machine, though not great is better than any of the others on the market
3) Previous versions of Samsung tablets have been sold in Australia for some time, they already have a large presence not just in tablets, but mobiles, televisions and home appliances. The product awareness offers a big association for other products like tablets as they are sold at the same retailers as well as carriers.
4) Samsung products have been offered for some time unlocked, offering more choices for consumers to choose their own carrier, this carries over to the tablets.
Motorola To Be Biggest Loser
1) Samsung network for selling tablets is much larger than others, more retailers and carriers than Motorola.
2) Other tablet suppliers have strong market associations in the marketplace / market share, Blackberry (RIM)- Mobiles, Toshiba/Asus/Acer/HP (Computers). Though the recent HP position confuses things.
3) Motorola New Relationship with Google with take time to gain momentum. Remember Google is a company that sells advertising. Google is NOT experienced in selling hardware product.
30 September is an important date currently in the patent wars, when it is believe Samsung will be allowed to sell their new tablet in Australia.